Saturday, 7 May 2016 - The 12th Bala Challenge!
Note that fund raising is optional - so why not use the event to support your own fund raising?
- The guided walk (3 hours approx.) will start from the Leisure Centre (registration 9.15 – 9.30) and finish at Llangower , return transport is available by train costing £3 per person. The group will be under the expert guidance of the Lake Warden, wildlife & local expert. Those joining this walk, will also have the opportunity of continuing from Llangower on to Llanuwchllyn under the guidance of local “Lets Walk Gwynedd” walk leaders. Return transport is also available from Llanuwchllyn by train costing £3 per person.
- 8 miles along Bala Lake with return by steam railway
- 14 miles around Bala Lake
- 20 miles around Bala Lake and more - the challenge!
A range of walks around or along Lake Bala, through forests, over moorland with wonderful views and opportunity to see wildlife. Free car parking, feeding stations, transport if required, refreshments at the finish and a certificate!
You can raise money for your own charity, good cause, or club, or just enjoy the walk. For approved charities or good causes with a minimum entry of 10 walkers, a donation will be made to the charity returning a significant part of the entry fee. Please apply before the event. Runners may participate but start later, the event is not a race (LDWA guidelines).
Important: the route is over farmland - dogs must be on a lead. Please be courteous to landowners and farmers.
Again we will be supporting charities and good causes, such as: North Wales Air Ambulance, the Mountain Rescue Service, RNLI and local good causes.
Bala Challenge Slideshows:
- The guided walk will start from the Leisure Centre (registration up to 0930) and follow the lake shore to the railway station, a special train (£3 each) will take the group to Llangower, then the group will walk back under the expert guidance of the Lake Warden, wild life & local expert.
- The Bala Lake Scenic Walk: an 8 mile walk with the option of returning by narrow-gauge railway
- The Bala Lake Circuit: a 14 mile walk around Lake Bala
- The Bala Challenge: a 20 mile walk around Lake Bala, including part of the Aran ridge
Important: the walk is over moorland and hills, up to 2,000 ft high (20 miles route), you will need appropriate footwear and clothing. Ask for advice if necessary. Bring a map case (or clear plastic bag) for the route information.
Services to participants include:
- Free car parking at the start (please register)
- Route description with local information notes
- Checkpoint, marshals and signs
- Return transport where required (cut-off times apply)
- Certificates for all finishers
- Feeding station at check-points
- Light Refreshments at the finish
- Assistance with problems.